Reminder: This Sunday, November 10th, is Enrollment Sunday. Mass is at 10:00 a.m. Please bring your Request for Confirmation forms with you at that time. Your first class starts on Monday, November 11th at 7:00 p.m. at Holy Family Church.
Let’s make lunch easier with Lunchbox Orders:
How to Order:
- Go online at www.lunchboxorders.com and click “ORDER LUNCH”.
- New to Lunchbox Orders? Click “Create an Account” to register your family’s account.
- Already registered? Please login directly with your current user name (e-mail address) and password.
- Add your child to your account by clicking “add a student” and register your child with their new teacher and grade for the current school year. ** Please ensure the correct teacher and grade are selected to prevent errors on delivery days.
- Click “Order Now” (beside your child’s name) to access the school’s ordering calendar.
- Proceed with ordering your child’s lunch by clicking on the blue box for each restaurant featured.
- All orders are submitted on the website and payment is processed on-line by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Debit MasterCard or Visa Debit. Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards are also accepted.
- With every meal purchased, a contribution will be made to the school’s fundraising program.
- Lunchbox Orders is paperless and cashless. Ordering online is fast and easy!
- All menu items featured are compliant with the Ontario Ministry of Education’s Food and Beverage Policy.
- Orders may be placed weekly or in advance, for the full length of the program.
Things to Remember:
- New orders must be placed by Sunday at 12pm (NOON) for the following week.
- Orders will not be accepted after the Sunday deadline.
- Cancellations will be accepted two (2) days prior to delivery.
Questions? Contact the Lunchbox Orders customer service team at 1.877.426.6860 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents: This is a reminder to please call the school if your child(ren) are going to be absent or late. This is in accordance with the WCDSB’s safe school protocol. The school has an attendance line that is 24/7 so you can call at your convenience. Please listen to the prompt and leave a message indicating the reason for the absence or lateness (ie. ill; dentist appointment). Messages are taken from the attendance line prior to 8:45 a.m. each morning. Thank you for your co-operation.
Now that the weather is changing to more rain/snow … parents please send an extra set of clothes along with your child (to be kept in their backpack) in case they get wet at recess times so they can change into dry clothes.
Parents: Photo Retake Day is on Thursday, November 21st, 2019. If your child(ren) was absent on the photo day in September, or if there is an issue with your child’s photo (ie. eyes closed) and you wish to have another taken, please send a note to your child’s teacher requesting an order form.
Parents of Grade 2 students at Holy Family Catholic School: The first meeting for First Holy Communion will be on Thursday, December 12th, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. at Holy Family Catholic Church. Please mark this important date on your calendar as you will be receiving the dates for First Holy Communion meetings and the request form at this meeting.
Parents: If your child was absent on Photo Day or if there was an issue with your child(ren)’s photo, please be advised that Holy Family’s Photo Re-take Day is on Thursday, November 21st, 2019 in the morning. Please mark this date on your calendar if it pertains to your child(ren).
November 2019 – Plant-Based Protein Foods
Canada’s food guide recommends that we fill ¼ of our plate with protein foods, and choose plant-based protein foods more often. Plant-based protein foods tend to be higher in fiber and lower in saturated fat than protein foods that come from animals. Eating less saturated fat and more fiber is good for heart health. On top of that, plant-based protein foods can be less costly, and are easy to prepare!
Beans, lentils, tofu, nuts and seeds are a few protein foods that come from plants. Of these, there are quite a few varieties and endless preparation ideas! Most of the time, you can add these foods to the dishes you already make for your family.
Here are some easy ways to include plant-based protein foods in your favourite meals:
- Add beans or lentils to soups and stews instead of meat.
- Top salads with chickpeas.
- Add tofu to your favourite stir fry.
- Spread hummus on a wrap or pita and fill with vegetables like lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
- Use beans in burritos.
- Blend soft tofu into soups to make them thicker and creamier.
Or, try this lentil recipe:
Curried Vegetable Lentil Stew
Makes: 6 servings
Get creative and substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand, fresh or frozen, in this recipe. Try replacing the potatoes with cauliflower, squash or sweet potato, or use spinach instead of green beans.
2 tsp canola oil
1 whole red onion, chopped
4 whole garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp ginger, minced (or 1 tsp ground)
2 Tbsp curry paste or curry powder
1 tsp garam masala*
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
2 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 whole potatoes, diced
1 whole bell pepper, chopped
6 oz green beans, chopped
1 (540 mL) can low sodium lentils
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, curry paste, garam masala and half of the cilantro. Cook for 3 minutes, or until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in flour until absorbed, then slowly pour in the broth. Stir until combined.
- Add potatoes, bell pepper, green beans and lentils and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve with remaining cilantro.
*Garam masala is a spice mixture made of cumin, coriander, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Adapted from food-guide.canada.ca. Visit food-guide.canada.ca and unlockfood.ca for more information and recipes for protein foods that come from plants.
Brought to you by Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services.
This is a reminder that tonight is the Gr. 7 Confirmation Parent Information Night at Holy Family Church. The meeting will start at 7:00 p.m.
DON’T FORGET … tomorrow – Thursday, September 26th, 2019 is STUDENT PHOTO DAY!!!!!