Parents: Please be advised that Bus Route 186 (Blue Bus) has departed late from Holy Family Catholic School today! The bus departed the school at 3:54 p.m.
January 2020 – Role-Modeling Healthy Habits
Parents and caregivers… are you sending your children mixed messages about healthy living?
- Do you talk about the importance of eating a healthy breakfast before school, then rush out the door with only a coffee in hand?
- Do you talk about your weight and skip meals because you are on a diet?
- Do you encourage your children to choose water when thirsty but drink pop when you want a beverage?
Though you may not realize it, children watch the adults in their lives very closely. Being a positive role model and modeling healthy behaviours for your children will help them to develop healthy habits for life. Here are a few things you can do to lead by example:
- Follow Canada’s food guide and eat a vegetable or fruit at every meal and snack, while limiting highly processed foods (like cookies, chips, processed meats and fruit drinks).
- Avoid saying you don’t like a food. Children are constantly exploring the flavours of new foods. Talking positively about foods allows them to develop their own food preferences.
- Embrace that healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes. Practice healthy behaviors (like eating well) to help you feel good, not for weight control.
- Accomplish a goal lately? Reward yourself with non-food items, like spending time with a friend, attending an art class or reading a new book.
- Participate in physical activity for the lifelong health benefits, the pleasure of moving your body, or because you enjoy the sport, rather than to justify a food treat afterwards.
- Focus on fun! Plan celebrations around activities you enjoy, instead of the foods you want to eat.
- Turn off your phone and be present during meals.
- Be open to trying new foods. Try making a new recipe together, like this lentil salad:
Zesty Rice and Lentil Salad
Makes six servings
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cups water
2 whole lemons, all zest and juice
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp black pepper
1 can (19 oz.) green or brown lentils, drained and rinsed
1 whole bell pepper (red, yellow or orange), diced
2 cups kale, chopped
1 whole apple or pear, cored and diced
- Cook brown rice according to package directions (usually 1 cup rice to 2 cups water).
- In small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger, Dijon mustard and pepper to make a dressing.
- Add lentils, cooked rice, bell pepper, kale and apple or pear to a large mixing bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and gently stir to combine. Chill before serving, if desired.
Adapted from the Niagara Region You’re the Chef program and available in the Region of Waterloo Healthy Eating Recipe Book.
Brought to you by Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services.
Parents … Please be advised that there will be no milk orders during the week of January 6th to 10th, 2020 (first week back from Christmas holidays).
Parents of Grade 2 students making their First Communion this year: There is a meeting for parents tonight from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Holy Family Church with Father Stephen.
Holy Family Parish invites all children (Junior Kindergarten and older) to be a part of this year’s Christmas program and pageant! Practice for the pageant will take place on Wednesday December 18th at 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the Church. Please contact the Parish office ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) if you wish to participate!
Please be advised that the buses left Holy Family Catholic School approximately 15 minutes late tonight. Your children should be arriving at their drop off location shortly.
Parents: Reminder: Confirmation class is tonight – Monday, December 9 at 7:00 p.m. at Holy Family Parish.
Tomorrow is a PD Day – Friday, December 6, 2019 – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS!!!!
Parents: This is a reminder… The next class for Confirmation will be Monday, December 9 at 7:00 p.m. at Holy Family Parish.
Parents … please remember to include your child(ren)’s homeroom when ordering hot lunches from Lunchbox Orders!!! It is very important to include all information so your child(ren)’s lunch is directed to the correct homeroom. Thank you!!!