THE UMBRELLA PROJECT: RESILIENCE
WHAT IS RESILIENCE?
Resilience is a skill and takes practice! Resilience is:
- • The ability to become strong, healthy, or successful again after something bad happens
- • Responding and adapting to adversity in healthy ways
- • Bouncing back from hardship as a stronger, more resourceful person
- • The ability to keep going in the face of challenges
- • Dealing with disruptive life events in a way that provides us with additional coping skills that we didn’t have prior to the event
- • Adapting well to change and new situations
WHY DOES RESILIENCE MATTER? HOW DOES IT HELP US?
Why do some people get knocked down by life and come back stronger than ever? It’s their resilience. Over time everyone will face a range of obstacles and difficulties; it’s part of life. Resilience allows us to adapt or even feel stronger and happier after these times. It helps us to feel less like the victim of our own story and more like the hero.
When it comes to resilience, practicing helps. With every storm you successfully weather, your resilience gets a bit better and the more we do that, the stronger we get. The next time life is difficult, know that you become a bit more resilient with each challenge you face.
RESEARCH BASED OUTCOMES OF RESILIENCE
1. Helps us graduate from school
2. Allows us to see bad times as temporary
3. Prevents us from feeling like victims
4. Helps us to manage pressures positively
5. Improves life satisfaction
6. Increases our feelings of self worth
7. Leads to better health and wellbeing