This month we are going to working with students to learn about purpose and their meaningful contribution to the world. As we always say at the Umbrella Project, all of the skills are important and work best together! The happiest kids are able to understand their own needs and their contribution to the bigger world around them.
WHAT IS PURPOSE?
Living with purpose is a skill and takes practice! Purpose is:
- The reason why we do what we do
- The core set of values we live by
- The desire to achieve something that is important to you or to make a difference
- The goals we set for ourselves
- The feeling of being determined to achieve or do something
- The meaning in our lives
- WHY DOES PURPOSE MATTER? / HOW DOES IT HELP US?
Purpose is the feeling that the things we do and the choices we make have meaning and make a difference. It makes us feel happier and more confident and gives us a set of guiding principles that help us make decisions. When we understand our purpose it can be easier to make decisions and overcome challenges. It is easier for us to keep going when things get difficult because we understand the bigger picture of our lives and we are less likely to get caught up in the trivial details. Having a sense of purpose is so important that it can actually help us live longer.
RESEARCH BASED OUTCOMES OF PURPOSE
- Helps us live longer
- Keeps us motivated to achieve our goals
- Helps us overcome challenges that are in our way
- Boosts our happiness
- Helps us feel more concerned/empathetic for others
- Improves our self-confidence