Each Month the staff and students focus on a social, emotional or personal developmental skill. We refer to them as “Umbrella Skills”. Like an umbrella, we carry our skills to use and protect us when life, the day, or a situation provides us with experiences we find unpleasant, challenging or would rather not have happened. The more we develop our personal skills the better we will cope with life challenges and maintain our personal well-being. In addition, when members of a community(school) use their “Umbrella Skills” they can positively impact others who need extra support or “protection ” when some rain has come into their day or life.
WHAT IS COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY?
Cognitive flexibility is a skill and takes practice! Cognitive flexibility is:
- The ability to change our strategies when we face new and unexpected conditions in the environment
- Solving problems in new situations
- Our ability to make sense of the unexpected
- Switching tasks easily
- The ability to shift and change our thoughts as needed in a situation
- Being able to think flexibly
WHY DOES COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY MATTER? HOW DOES IT HELP US?
Cognitive flexibility is the skill that helps us understand the unfamiliar. It’s important for innovating, coming up with new ideas and solving problems and is essential to creativity. It helps us easily switch from task to task, which can improve our success at school and work. Cognitive flexibility can also improve our relationships, break down stereotypes and help us understand our world from different perspectives. Life doesn’t always follow a predictable pattern; cognitive flexibility helps us navigate uncertainty and feel like we have more options when faced with challenges. As things change around us, we need to change in order to maintain our wellbeing.
RESEARCH BASED OUTCOMES OF COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY
- Helps us solve problems
- Allows us to switch easily from task to task
- Improves our resilience and ability to bounce back in difficult times
- Helps us see the world from others’ perspectives
- Improves our relationships with friends
- Improves learning and memory
- Lowers stress levels